Search This Blog

Monday, February 6, 2012

How to Replace a Brake Lamp on a 2009 Subaru Outback

We just got out of the car at a downtown parking lot when this really nice guy asked if we knew our brake light was burned out.   I was happy this good Samaritan gave us the news instead of a police officer.

My next thought was, how much is this going to cost to get fixed?  If you take it to a dealer, it'll cost you $100 just just to drive it in the shop.  So, I looked on the internet and the one video I saw would have you taking half the car apart to get to a burned out lamp.  Finally, I found another site that recommended I look in the manual.  What a concept!

The manual was thick as phone book, but I found the directions for lamp replacement and sure enough it worked.  At one point I was worried that I would never get it back together again, but it worked out and the new lamp shines brightly.  And the cost of 2 replacement bulbs was under $6.

So I had the brilliant idea of making a video on how to change the brake lamp so that other people wouldn't be forced to read the manual, as I had been.
I don't pretend to be a car expert, but this is one instance where I was able to fix it myself and save $100 or more.  Hope it works for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment